BLACK MOLD

WHAT IS BLACK MOLD?

Black mold is a type of toxic mold. It often accompanies water damage  and can be extremely toxic to anyone or any living thing exposed to it.

Even though it is called black mold, the mold itself is actually a greenish-black color, and may have a lumpy appearance. Because it is caused from water or water damage, the top layer is often slimy to the touch. Keep an eye out for a powdery form when the water dries up. That’s a sign of black mold.

SYMPTOMS OF BLACK MOLD.

As mentioned previously, black mold is very toxic to humans and animals. Not only can you visually identify the mold, there are some symptoms and warning signs that you can keep an eye out for that can help identify that you have a black mold problem:

    • Breathing problems
    • Fatigue, headaches, tiredness
    • Nausea
    • Confusion/brain fog
    • Anxiety
    • Difficulty concentrating or paying attention
    • Asthma attacks
    • Coughing or sneezing excessively
    • Mental impairment (memory loss)
    • Skin inflammation (red itchy eyes, mouth or nose)
    • Damage to internal organs

 

Some of these seem minor, but there are symptoms that are very serious and need to checked out immediately. Not only are these ailments bothersome, but the black mold can also cause permanent damage to your health. If the mold is not found and taken care of immediately, you can certainly suffer long term medical issues.

BLACK MOLD HEALTH RISKS.

Once the immune and/or endocrine system are compromised by long-term exposure and/or high concentrations, the body is susceptible to a greater variety of disease and /oreven cancer. Some of the black mold health risks involved in long-term effects are, but not limited to:

  • Balkan nephropathy (disorder of the kidney)
  • Bronchitis (lung infection)
  • Hepatocellular carcinoma (cancer in the cells of the liver)
  • Kashin-Beck disease (disease of the joints and bones)
  • Respiratory infections
  • Reye’s syndrome (results in brain and liver swelling)
  • And much more…

While some damage may be irreversible, detox is possible in managing and overcoming the weakening effects of black mold exposure. Knowing how to detox your body from mold is just as important as recognizing the symptoms of black mold, especially since the majority of medical professionals aren’t trained to recognize what is triggering those symptoms.

 

REMOVAL OF BLACK MOLD.

Since black mold is so extremely toxic, it’s removal is something you need to leave up to the professionals.

If you disturb the black mold, it will release spores that are not visible to the naked eye, mycotoxins will release into the air and drift throughout your home. The spores are very hardy and survive under conditions in which other types of mold cannot grow, such as dry environments. Once the spores land somewhere with water, that is when the mold starts to grow and spread.

During the removal process, it is suggested you and your family vacate the home temporarily for safety reasons. You should ideally only return once the toxic mold has been completely removed. A professional company will also test the environment to make sure all of the toxic black mold has been removed completely.

Some experts believe that toxic black mold can never completely be removed from a house or building that has been extremely contaminated. 

BLACK MOLD TREATMENT.

There really is no way to cure or any antidote that can be taken for exposure to black mold. You can either remove the mold, or remove yourself. If you are away from the mold, your body will start to recover and the symptoms should go away with time. However, there is always the chance that the damage to yourself or your home could be permanent.

 

References:

Toxic Black Mold (Stachybotrys) (2016.) http://blackmold.awardspace.com/stachybotrys.html

Toxic Black Mold Removal. (2016). http://blackmold.awardspace.com/black-mold-cleanup-removal.html


 

 


Share

Agent

Shana Edwards

Shana Edwards

Phone518-365-1915